As seen on App Store
- Last update
2 years ago
Current version 7.13
German, English, British English, and Japanese
United Arab Emirates, Armenia, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Brazil, Belarus, Canada, Switzerland, Chile, China, Colombia, Cyprus, Czechia, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Egypt, Spain, Finland, France, UK, Georgia, Greece, Hong Kong, Croatia, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, India, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Lebanon, Lithuania, Latvia, Mexico, Malaysia, Nigeria, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Singapore, Slovakia, Thailand, Turkey, Taiwan, Ukraine, US, Vietnam, and South Africa
TherAppX Review Guidance v2022.10
Review update 2023-02-07
Context informing the intended clinical use of the app based on the targeted health conditions and included features.
Covered health conditions
The developer claims to offer features targeting these health conditions.
Features that facilitate health data generation, collection, sharing and interpretation by patients.
No data-oriented feature identified.
Features that promote self-care and self-management of conditions.
- Guided self-care activities
- Patients may access guided exercises or activities to perform actions and achieve their health goals.
160 pine st, suite 200 San Francisco Ca. 94111
The app must show relevance of its clinical underpinnings as determined by scientific evidence and support from clinicians or reputable organizations.
Evidence of acceptability or feasibility
A point is provided to this app if there is at least one peer-reviewed study demonstrating the app's acceptability, as found on a research database (e.g. Pubmed, Medline). The evidence is in the form of a clinical trial, a feasibility study, a review, a survey or other published evidence.
The Feasibility of a Combined Lifestyle Physical Activity and Cognitive Training Intervention to Prevent Cognitive Impairment in Older Women With Cardiovascular Disease.
- J Phys Act Health, 2020-12-29
- Halloway S, Wilbur J, Braun LT, Schoeny ME, Volgman AS
Licensed by a regulatory organization
A point is provided to this app if it is licensed by at least one regulatory organization (e.g. FDA, European Union, Health Canada). A regulatory decision means that a regulatory body has approved marketing for medical purposes after assessing supporting evidence and the tool's safety.
No license found
Developed by a clinician
A point is provided to this app if health professionals are involved in its development.
Recommended by an independent organization
A point is provided to this app if it is recommended by at least one independent non-regulatory organization, such as health technology assessment agencies, government, clinical association or research institution.
- Alberta Health Services (Canada)
- Provincial health authority of Alberta (Canada). Curates a list of mental health app.
Clinical value demonstrated by a peer-reviewed study
A point is provided to this app if there is at least one peer-reviewed study proving the app's clinical value, as found in a research database (e.g. Pubmed, Medline). The evidence is in the form of a clinical trial or other published clinical evidence.
Response heterogeneity to home-based restorative cognitive rehabilitation in multiple sclerosis: An exploratory study.
- Mult Scler Relat Disord, 2019-06-29
- Fuchs TA, Ziccardi S, Dwyer MG, Charvet LE, Bartnik A, Campbell R, Escobar J, Hojnacki D, Kolb C, Oship D, Pol J, Shaw MT, Wojcik C, Yasin F, Weinstock-Guttman B, Zivadinov R, Benedict RHB
Computerized cognitive rehabilitation for treatment of cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis: an explorative study.
- J Integr Neurosci, 2020-07-25
- Vilou I, Bakirtzis C, Artemiadis A, Ioannidis P, Papadimitriou M, Konstantinopoulou E, Aretouli E, Messinis L, Nasios G, Dardiotis E, Kosmidis M, Grigoriadis N
Improvement in executive function for older adults through smartphone apps: a randomized clinical trial comparing language learning and brain training.
- Neuropsychol Dev Cogn B Aging Neuropsychol Cogn, 2021-10-26
- Meltzer JA, Kates Rose M, Le AY, Spencer KA, Goldstein L, Gubanova A, Lai AC, Yossofzai M, Armstrong SEM, Bialystok E
Economic value demonstrated by a peer-reviewed study
A point is provided to this app if there is at least one peer-reviewed study proving the app's economic value, as found in a research database (e.g. Pubmed, Medline). The evidence is in the form of an economic study such as a cost-effectiveness analysis.
No demonstration found
Other studies of interest
Other studies providing additional context that may be considered for decision-making. This information does not affect the clinical robutness score.
Relative effectiveness of general versus specific cognitive training for aging adults.
- Psychol Aging, 2021-12-31
- Gray N, Yoon JS, Charness N, Boot WR, Roque NA, Andringa R, Harrell ER, Lewis KG, Vitale T
Telemedicine as a strategic intervention for cognitive rehabilitation in MS patients during COVID-19.
- Acta Neurol Belg, 2022-01-31
- Ghadiri F, Naser Moghadasi A, Sahraian MA
Randomized Controlled Trial of a Cognitive Intervention to Improve Memory in Heart Failure.
- J Card Fail, 2021-11-12
- Pressler SJ, Jung M, Gradus-Pizlo I, Titler MG, Smith DG, Gao S, Lake KR, Burney H, Clark DG, Wierenga KL, Dorsey SG, Giordani B
A Game a Day Keeps Cognitive Decline Away? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Commercially-Available Brain Training Programs in Healthy and Cognitively Impaired Older Adults.
- Neuropsychol Rev, 2021-07-13
- Nguyen L, Murphy K, Andrews G
Study using data collected by app
Remote Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Cognition in Middle-Aged and Older Adults: Proof-of-Concept Study.
- JMIR Form Res, 2022-02-03
- Eastman JA, Kaup AR, Bahorik AL, Butcher X, Attarha M, Marcus GM, Pletcher MJ, Olgin JE, Barnes DE, Yaffe K
The app must not disclose personal information from users. Score is based on public information. A high score does not guarantee absence of issues with privacy.
Restricted access to accounts
A point is provided to this app if it does not give information about other apps installed on the device (creator, name, type of account, etc.).
Restricted access to unique device identification
A point is provided to this app if it does not give information about the device's hardware components, which could be used to track the user on different web services.
Restricted access to the phone subscriber identity (SIM)
A point is provided to this app if it does not give information about the mobile phone services and provider, which could be used to track the user on different messaging and phone services.
Restricted access to phone number
A point is provided to this app if it does not give information on the phone number, which could be used to follow the user on services that use this data or to attack using spam, phishing or two-factor authentication (2FA) tactics.
Right to be forgotten
Data privacy officer contact available
Data privacy legislation
- CCPA (California, United States)
- GDPR (Europe)
- HIPAA (United States)
This information does not affect the privacy score.
This app requests access to some features of your device. Make sure that each of these accesses is relevant to you. This information does not affect the privacy score.
- Allows the app to search for nearby devices and initiate connection.
- Can give access to fine location in the background.
- Allows the app to read, create, edit, or delete your calendar events.
- Allows the app to use its content.
- Allows the app to read and use conta's informations.
- Photo library
- Allows the app to access photos, media and files on your device.
The app must not be exposed to external security threats. Score is based on public information. A high score does not guarantee absence of issues with security.
A point is provided to this app if it has been updated at least 1 time in the last 6 months, significantly reducing technical vulnerability and associated risks.
Restricted access to device administrator privileges
A point is provided to this app if it cannot gain administrator access to your device.
Restricted access to device debugging details
A point is provided to this app if it cannot gain debugging access to your device, which could expose privileged details and sensitive information.
Compliant to one or more security certification
A point is provided to this app if it declares compliance with one or more security certifications (e.g. ISO/IEC 27017, ISO 27001, PCI, SOC 2, HITRUST, MASVS).
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a set of security standards designed to ensure that all companies that accept, process, store or transmit credit card information maintain a secure environment.
- SOC 2
- SOC 2 compliance intends to ensure the safety and privacy of customer data. It outlines five trust service principles of security, availability, processing integrity, confidentiality, and privacy of customer data as a framework for safeguarding data.
Easy to understand
A point is provided to this app if it is easy to understand (grade level below 8) as defined by the Automated Readability Index (ARI) readability tool.
User satisfaction on App Store
A point is provided to this app if user satisfaction averaged at least 4 out of 5 stars on App Store.
- App Store
Free of distracting ads
A point is provided to this app if it is free of unrelated ads during app use.
Sufficient support section
A point is provided to this app if it provides appropriate resources to adequately help users who experience problems with the app (e.g. support section, knowledge base, FAQs).
Compliant to a design standard
A point is provided if the app manufacturer declares compliance with one or more design standard(s) related to accessibility, usability, and inclusivity (e.g. ISO 9241, WCAG, ADA, etc.).
No design standard found